Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

The UUUUULTIMATE headphones topic of the universe

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby Shiniroth » 16 Aug 2015, 14:34

ceero:Okay guys, i could use a bit of advice from you :) I finally decided it's time for a new headphones. My budget is 200-250 EUR.

Currently i am thinking about two classics - AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD25. I owned both brands, AKG and Senneheiser in the past and i was satisfied with both. I can get the K701 for circa 220 EUR and the HD25 for circa 160 EUR but the price is not that much of a deciding factor. Bowers & Wilkins P3 or P5 also catched my attention.

I am quite hard on the audio quality actually, the problem is that i am going to use them as much on metal/rock/instrumental music as much as for hardstyle/electronic music and well, you usually get different kinds of headphones for those if you go for high end. Naturally as a hardstyle lover i want strong, clean bass, i odn't even mind a slight over-bass setting in headphones.

What am i looking for is headphones for everyday use - listening at home, listening outside on the street, in a bus etc, not djing. I expect the headphones to have a good isolation, inside and outside aswell. The deciding factor for me is the manufacturing quality, i fucking had it with headphones that break down / fuck up after a year of using, i want to put a bunch of money in them and i expect them to last, happend to me before that i bought expensive headphones and now i got a bunch of plastic scrap from them.

So what do you say? HD25? K701? P5? Or something else? Any advice welcome, especially if some of you guys own any of those headphones :)

k701 all the way
Shiniroth (22)
State Senior Citizen

Postby ceero » 16 Aug 2015, 18:34

the thing that bugs me about them is that i would most likely need to amp them to get the greatest goods from them, what is another 70+ EUR investition. I also heard that they may disappoint electronic music listeners as they are not exactly bass oriented. I had AKGs in the past and i fucking loved their sound though well, if i forget the fact they fell apart like a house of cards within a year, really shitty manufactured construction). Do you own them yourself?

What i like about the HD25 is that it's a long term investiton, the fact i can change pretty much everything that dies on them is very attractive for me as i am a real talent when it comes to fucking headphones up. Seems like they are great for hardstyle aswell, according to replies in this topic. I am mostly tempted to get them

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby ceero » 18 Aug 2015, 16:22

soooo yeah, couldnt resist and got myself a pair of HD25s :)
Wellllll my ver first impression after a day of using them. Was maybe expecting a little bit more. The bass is indeed fucking amazing and clear, especially subrgound stuff sounds riddiculously god on them. The mids are muddy as fuck on the other hand, definitely expected more from this aspect in this price range, half the price AKGs pwn them when it comes to mids quality. I do love the functional design and they look they really can take some shit. Also they kind of suck for rock/metal music but i expected that, for dance music they are great.
if they are really so though as they say as they are it was a good investition. Sucks that i cant change my audio chip in my ntb, this is the kind of gear that makes you realise your audio output i shit xD thanks god i have an ipod classic

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby ShotzieExplosion » 03 Nov 2015, 22:07

Sennheiser HD-25 II all the way!
ShotzieExplosion
State Outsider

Postby Wavelength » 09 Aug 2016, 15:24

I might be mad here, but just got my HD25 PLUS and while the sound is very high detail the volume just isnt loud enough! I was expecting high detail and high volume, so much so kicks feel punchy but it feels like its at 70% of the potential.

Is there some Sennheiser application I can download to adjust?
Defqon 1 '15 '16 Freaqshow '16 Qlimax '18
Wavelength (27)
State Citizen

Postby Wavelength » 11 Aug 2016, 20:13

Anyone.....? Advice?
Wavelength (27)
State Citizen

Postby kraczk » 11 Aug 2016, 21:20

How much impedance do your headphones have? It seems like your soundcard might have a problem handling them.
kraczk
State Senior Citizen

Postby Wavelength » 11 Aug 2016, 21:33

Not a clue and checking that seems like you need other fancy equipment, nothing is remotely simple lol.

Plus if I can plug Dre Beats into my phone or whatever and get a better sound than Sennheisers through my PC then ... well need I say more? I'd always though beats to have been WELL overpriced but in comparison to these 'high end' headphones, they aren't.
Wavelength (27)
State Citizen

Postby kraczk » 16 Aug 2016, 15:34

Sennheiser webpage says they have 70 ohms of impedance, which might be too much for a regular soundcard.

Read this article, should be informative enough.

Just a small question btw, why did you feel the need do buy $200 headphones when you're satisfied with Beats? That sounds like a huge waste of money.
kraczk
State Senior Citizen

Postby ceero » 16 Aug 2016, 22:10

Wavelength:I might be mad here, but just got my HD25 PLUS and while the sound is very high detail the volume just isnt loud enough! I was expecting high detail and high volume, so much so kicks feel punchy but it feels like its at 70% of the potential.

Is there some Sennheiser application I can download to adjust?

Headphone amplifier is what you need. These are simply big headphones that a smartphone or an ipod wont be able to power properly, remember those are dj headphones that are usually powered by mixers with a strong amplifier. Headphone amp is this tiny box you plug in between your phone and the headphones that gives the required power to your headphones. Its just like with big ass high end hifi speakers - you just cant use them properly without an amplifier. You can get a decent one under 50eur from ebay. I use one paired with my ipod classic + hd25s and i can get all the volume i need.

Oh, and please dont compare hd25 with beats lol. Thats almost a blasphemy. Remember these are high end professional headphones made for musicians and require a bit of insight to be able to make them work the way you need them to, not headphones made for obey cap and skinny jeans wearing poser kids like beats are ;)

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby Wavelength » 16 Aug 2016, 22:25

Ceero, thanks so much man!

I was comparing them to beats because I was pissed that they didn't compare in punchiness so knew that'd hit sennheisers nerves if they saw that lol, I take it back Senn! The mids and highs are awesome as is so god knows what they'll be like with an amp.

THANKS AGAIN!

Other dude - I wasn't satisfied with Beats and had heard true HI-FI on other headphones, hence my disappointment when I plugged my Senns in to my PC and felt like the bass was punchier through my tv...
Last edited by Wavelength on 16 Aug 2016, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Wavelength (27)
State Citizen

Postby ceero » 16 Aug 2016, 22:35

glad to help :) as to how they will sound with an amp - that obviously depends from the amp you get :) i use a simple cheap Topping NX1 amp that cost me about 40 euro and as for me, it's sufficient enough. In the extreme volume levels there is a bit of a sound quality bias, (not really a big one, you have to have a trained ear to notice) but its that kind of high volume that hurts your ears so you dont even use it at all. You can on the other hand get 200+ euro pieces. Obviously the better you get, the better the sound will be, i've heard those expensivve high end ones can do really impressive things (never got to try any of those so far). The best would be ofcourse visit a local hifi store and have a word with them, see if they have some and if they can let you try a few of those. Or you can just blind buy one after reading a few review like i did - trust me if you are not an extreme audiophile there isnt THAT much of a difference between the amps. for the beginning, you cant go wrong with the Topping NX series - reasonable price for reasonable performance. Plus you get an extra volume knob on the amp (like you have on a dj mixer), i cant even imagine listening to music without it haha. Really handy.

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby Wavelength » 16 Aug 2016, 22:48

Cool yeah I am going into a hi fi shop to see what they recommend. I am not looking for volume that will have me deaf in no time I just want to be able to have it at a volume I can feel decimated by the kicks and in awe of the melody - so with that being said I don't want to buy anything that will cause me to want to buy one again later to fix an issue... About 100 would be my budget as I am a bit of an audiophile... can't stand a muffled song. :/
Wavelength (27)
State Citizen

Postby ceero » 16 Aug 2016, 22:51

for a 100 you will get a kickass amp that will make you satisfied for sure (if you have a good quality audio source), trust me ;) you are yet to experience the true power of HD25s hehe :)

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby Wavelength » 16 Aug 2016, 22:55

Sooo, when you say a good quality audio source do you mean I'd need to buy a kickass soundcard to go with it lol? Or just don't try it on like a 20 euro mp3 player? :P

I don't have a fancy soundcard just what came with my motherboard. So if I need one of those too (bearing in mind I am trying to get into production here) I'll bring the amp budget down to accommodate a bit for a soundcard.

Appreciating your help! :fist:
Wavelength (27)
State Citizen

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles