Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

The UUUUULTIMATE headphones topic of the universe

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby zanshi » 22 Aug 2014, 13:13

i have the akg701 since a bit over a year now and i love them to bits and pieces
they're soft in the bass, sharp in the mids, crrrrystal clear in the high end

and unforgiving.

you hear EVERYTHING, very detailed image and response over entire frequency band.
these headphones made me cry and cringe over my mixdown when my KRKs told me it was "ok".
the mid peak CAN be annoying to some, but i found it rather amazing to hear so much detail where my krks lack it.
the bass is soft and smooth, flat as fuck - i wouldn't make kicks with these, the hdj might give a better response here but lack anywhere else imo.
they're also comfy as fuck. i could sleep with them. sometimes i stand up and drag my interface over the table, bc i forget they're still on my head X'D

i'd keep the ATH and go for the 701s.
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (24)
State Hero

Postby Kirrre » 22 Aug 2014, 16:34

Thanks really appreciate the help :D Might give them a chance. Im still in the stage thou if im gonna buy new headphones or monitors :)
Kirrre (22)
State Citizen

Postby GamerZoneUSA » 23 Aug 2014, 04:11

Anyone have the Beyherdynamic Custom Ones? How are they?
Soundcloud Facebook Page Part of the #Atmozcrew
GamerZoneUSA (19)
State Hero

Postby Kirrre » 24 Aug 2014, 09:43

@zanshi AKG k701 and AKG701 same? Or is it the Q version?
Kirrre (22)
State Citizen

Postby Emre » 16 Sep 2014, 21:38

so, what are good REGULAR USE headphones as of today? i don't need producing specific headphones as i'm don't produce
I Got Noize
Emre (22)
State Retired Person

Postby Kirrre » 16 Sep 2014, 23:07

ATH-m50 all the way, they are not to expensive and got a really nice sound. If u want to upgrade from that i would go for HDJ-2000.
Kirrre (22)
State Citizen

Postby Emre » 17 Sep 2014, 21:02

Kirrre:ATH-m50 all the way, they are not to expensive and got a really nice sound. If u want to upgrade from that i would go for HDJ-2000.

Thanks will check out :)
I Got Noize
Emre (22)
State Retired Person

Postby xXxHsCL0vErXxX » 29 Sep 2014, 15:26

What do you guys think of Audio-Technica headphones? Is sound quality solid and are they tough?
xXxHsCL0vErXxX (22)
State Native

Postby Kirrre » 29 Sep 2014, 16:49

xXxHsCL0vErXxX:What do you guys think of Audio-Technica headphones? Is sound quality solid and are they tough?

Love my ath-m50s ;) Very nice sound quality and the price is amazing for what you get.
Kirrre (22)
State Citizen

Postby xXxHsCL0vErXxX » 29 Sep 2014, 17:34

Kirrre:
xXxHsCL0vErXxX:What do you guys think of Audio-Technica headphones? Is sound quality solid and are they tough?

Love my ath-m50s ;) Very nice sound quality and the price is amazing for what you get.

Cool, thank you for the information!
xXxHsCL0vErXxX (22)
State Native

Postby DaBeatPlayah » 29 Sep 2014, 18:12

Sennheiser HD8
DaBeatPlayah (18)
State Newcomer

Postby RPGWiZaRD » 29 Sep 2014, 20:29

I have hard time finding a replacement for M-Audio Q40. I've tried quite a few headphones but I keep returning to these. Next up is Ultrasone Signature DJ's which is a 720€ retail price (actually got them for 450€ why I couldn't pass it up) but even this one I'm not sure I will enjoy more than the 120€ M-Audio Q40, that's how pleased with the sound (for my prefences anyway) but will see. I'm scared that the Signature DJ's won't have that "full" / nicely rich weighting mids of Q40 that I like but expect it to be a step up in terms of soundstaging, imaging and clarity while bass should be pretty comparable on both, going from reviews and measurements.

The Q40 has a ^-- shape response, so balanced mids & highs presence with a bit boosted bass. Seems suprisingly hard to find closed headphones with bass emphasis but keeping a good balance in the mids & highs without huge dips or peaks (especially mids taking a backseat). Q40 manages to avoid this suprisingly well, especially for the price. One minus for a lot of people can be comfort (clamps hard, shallow pads=can be swapped or tweaked) and lack of "air" (feeling of openness) due to too much rolled of top-frequencies (14kHz+).

Examples of headphones that didn't manage to pull me over compared to Q40: Audio Technica M50, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD8 (and several lower-cost offerings). Felt now I had to try a bigger step, hence something like Ultrasone Signature DJ. :P

On my scope is also the new Philips A5 Pro, the Armin Van Buuren collaboration. Seems quite good. Anyone tried these yet? Looks very sexy & sturdy too. :)
RPGWiZaRD (30)
State Celebrity

Postby Shadow Interaction » 02 Oct 2014, 17:23

I still have and use the AKG K181 headphones. Though I don't use it for producing, only when i'm DJ'ing or listening music when i'm out of the house
- Pithune / Shadow Interaction / Tensphoria / Mass Vibrant -

https://www.facebook.com/DjPithune
http://www.soundcloud.com/PithuneMedia

Shadow Interaction (29)
Producer

Postby Dj Reaper » 25 Nov 2014, 20:40

As I realised that I won´t be able to treat my studio acoustically soon and my KRK 8 are lacking a lot of detail, and perhaps are too big for my room and I don´t have the possibility to position them exactly how they should be I thought I´ll upgrade my headphones. Right now I am working with AKG K DJ181 headphones, with the bass boost on, they give me the detail (like transients, disturbing slight noises in kicktails etc) much better than my monitors. However without the bassboost on I wouldn´t be able to tell if the bass is tight enough, they have a slightely piercing sound and become fatiguing in terms of sound as of comfort.

What I need are professional producing headphones that will work for some years (until maybe I can build a small studio) and deliver me quality mixdowns, without me having to think "if the headphones sound like this it probably means that I have to do that". They should react to small changes, what apart for mixdowns is also very important for kicks and give me an analytical sound in all frequency bands, I should hear when for example in a kicks tail there is a small disturbing offbeat noise, I should hear the transients well, if a kick/snare knocks as supposed to, it should have good bass response so that I know if it is tight or may be lacking on PA speakers and it should also have ab accurate stereo image. I short, it should just sound as it is, detailled, analytical, not hyped but solid in all frequency ranges.

I did some research, also found a SOS article and came to the conclusion that the Sennheiser HD650 and the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro would be the best choices for mixing. I am leaning a bit more towards the Sennheiser however as I read the bass response is a bit fuller and as I am used to listen to boosted bass it might be easier to get used to them than to the Beyerdynamics. I also read about the Shure SHR940, which are pretty new and for that reason I did´t find any professional review. They should give pretty accurate sound tough, however they are closed headphones, what for mixing isn´t that good usually, and I read that the bass is slightly underrappresented.

However I didn´t find any useful information on those headphones tested on EDM (not to mention Hardstyle) and which one works best for mixing down (and generally working on) those generes. Anybody here having worked with one or more of those, or maybe other better headphones who can give me some advice? Or somebody can point out articles or people who use those headphones professionally? Would be very appreciated as I need to improve in the studio as it is now..
Dj Reaper
State Native

Postby ceero » 16 Aug 2015, 10:22

Okay guys, i could use a bit of advice from you :) I finally decided it's time for a new headphones. My budget is 200-250 EUR.

Currently i am thinking about two classics - AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD25. I owned both brands, AKG and Senneheiser in the past and i was satisfied with both. I can get the K701 for circa 220 EUR and the HD25 for circa 160 EUR but the price is not that much of a deciding factor. Bowers & Wilkins P3 or P5 also catched my attention.

I am quite hard on the audio quality actually, the problem is that i am going to use them as much on metal/rock/instrumental music as much as for hardstyle/electronic music and well, you usually get different kinds of headphones for those if you go for high end. Naturally as a hardstyle lover i want strong, clean bass, i odn't even mind a slight over-bass setting in headphones.

What am i looking for is headphones for everyday use - listening at home, listening outside on the street, in a bus etc, not djing. I expect the headphones to have a good isolation, inside and outside aswell. The deciding factor for me is the manufacturing quality, i fucking had it with headphones that break down / fuck up after a year of using, i want to put a bunch of money in them and i expect them to last, happend to me before that i bought expensive headphones and now i got a bunch of plastic scrap from them.

So what do you say? HD25? K701? P5? Or something else? Any advice welcome, especially if some of you guys own any of those headphones :)
Reef in a sail at the edge of the world, If eternity should fail.
Waiting in line for the ending of time, If eternity should fail.
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles