Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Can I use a midi controller for FX and mixing in DJ software

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby Lager » 17 Mar 2012, 02:08

I'm thinking of buying the Akai MPK Mini (Keyboard, drum pad, 8 knobs), and I was wondering if I could use that to trigger FX with the drum pads and use the knobs to control volume etc. And if it's possible, can I do it in just about any software or do I need something special?
Lager
State Newcomer

Postby VanillaFace » 17 Mar 2012, 03:30

If the controller if midi mappable (and I'm pretty sure the Akai MPK is) then you can do just about anything with it in most decent dj software. It's just up to you to create the map to tell the software what you want each function on the controller to do.
VanillaFace (22)
State Native

Postby Almanac » 17 Mar 2012, 10:14

You can also buy a drum machine and store all your samples on there :)
Almanac
State Celebrity

Postby VanillaFace » 17 Mar 2012, 10:44

Almanac:You can also buy a drum machine and store all your samples on there :)

That is a much more expensive and inefficient way of doing it though. Using a midi controller you can have access to limitless samples or loops when coupled with Traktor or Serato and a controller such as a Traktor F1 or Maschine gives you many other added possibilities too. Either of those two coupled with Traktor would be my recommendation, or a DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter which is awesome for triggering FX and samples etc without knobs (they look sick too).
VanillaFace (22)
State Native

Postby Lager » 17 Mar 2012, 12:50

I think I'm gonna go with the MPK Mini then. I only DJ occasionally for fun, which means I'll mainly use it when producing, so I need the keys as well. Thanks for the help. :)
Lager
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles