Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Moving to NL from Australia

Dutch speaking countries: Belgium & The Netherlands

Postby kasper_flip » 10 Apr 2015, 10:49

Hi guys
My girlfriend and I are moving to Utrecht in May, for 1 year. Just got a few questions!
What is the deal with home internet over there, is it usually organised by landlord/apartment building, or do you have your own contract? We are staying at an AirBNB place for the first month then hoping to get a 6 month rental.
What is the best mobile phone service provider? Looking for something not too expensive but has plenty of data. Also being able to roam to other countries would be good as we plan on going around europe a lot.
Any tips for a foreigner moving over there? There's probably some other questions I should ask but I can't think of them

Thanks
Kasper
ImageImageImage
kasper_flip (29)
State Tourist

Postby Stereotypes » 10 Apr 2015, 12:40

Hello, Well you can get internet, phone ( not mobile), tv bundles from a provider. The most populair providers are Ziggo and Kpn you have alot of providers for your mobile phone. I would recommend vodafone or t-mobile, I hear alot good stuff about t-mobile. you can call to foreign country's for the same price as you pay in holland ( hope you understand what I mean) you can also decide for youself what you want to pay for. so like lets say you pay 20 euro's for 5 gb mobile internet, you can choose to get 100 call minutes/ 1000 teksts and 2,5 gb internet for 20 euro's. ( just random numbers)

websites:
(mobile)
T-moblie ( global ) http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/
T-mobile ( dutch) https://www.t-mobile.nl/
Providers
Ziggo https://www.ziggo.nl/
Kpn http://www.kpn.com/

Hope this helps you a bit :)
If you got some more questions feel free to ask :p
Stereotypes
State Senior Citizen

Postby tjakevladze » 10 Apr 2015, 16:02

Most appartments/homes you rent come with Internet.
The speeds are mostly anything between 20mbit-200mbit.
It really depends on the contract your landlord has and at what provider. (Ziggo being the most generous).

If you have a phone, you can get cheap SIM-Only contracts.
Roaming within Europe will be free from 15 December 2015. So you might have to pay about 0,25e per MB for most mobile contracts.

Most dutch people really like Aussies. Most of us also speak decent English and dont mind doing so if you ask politely.

Other stuff. Look into a public transportation subscription. Our public transport is pretty good and you can get pretty much anywhere you want within 2-3 hours.
tjakevladze
State Senior Citizen

Postby The Blaster » 10 Apr 2015, 18:14

Internet is really shitty. Heard so many stories of students at uni who couldn't get internet for months.I have had good experiences but from the stories I've heard.. you would think its like Zimbabwe..
Make sure you get that sorted.
Transport is as bad if not worse than the uk..so get a bike so you can travel places on your own..it helps
The Blaster
State Celebrity

Postby kasper_flip » 20 Apr 2015, 09:03

We found a bed & breakfast place to live for the first 9 weeks of our trip so we will look for a rental property after that - staying at the place we chose is cheaper than renting!
We will be getting some SIM-only contracts so thanks for your tips guys :)
We are happy to catch public transport or ride our bikes everywhere - if you guys think public transport/internet is bad over there you obviously haven't been to Australia. The current government canceled the plans for a national fibre network to go back to ADSL internet, and the public transport in Melbourne is hopeless. Anything will be an improvement over that!
ImageImageImage
kasper_flip (29)
State Tourist

Postby kasper_flip » 24 Apr 2015, 23:32

Another question is which bank should I get an account with?
ImageImageImage
kasper_flip (29)
State Tourist

Postby The Blaster » 25 Apr 2015, 00:06

I'm with rabobank, have no complaints, they have treated me very well, but the whole system is in dutch (things they seend you and online banking etc.)
ABN Amro is another good one
The Blaster
State Celebrity

Postby Gohan » 27 Apr 2015, 18:51

kasper_flip:Another question is which bank should I get an account with?

I used ING when I was on exchange, as they specifically had an "exchange student" account. Was through Erasmus student network though, so I dont know if they have it in general, but I had very little trouble with them (and got a mastercard, which you need in NL!)
Gohan
State Senior Citizen

Postby gbp » 29 Apr 2015, 01:06

Lucky bastard, I'd love to move to Europe for a year.
gbp (34)
State Citizen

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles