Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

USA to DEFQON.1 Australia

Postby jasyn » 20 Oct 2012, 08:24

My friends and I want to experience DEFQON.1 Australia next year and would like it if anyone could give us some traveling tips please :)

Flights - Qantas? Any other airlines that are recommendable?
Hotels - We were thinking Sydney would be our home base, and as far as from what google shows, we can take a train to the location of the event and then bus the way. Would there be any other good locations worth staying at that are closer to the event area?

jasyn
State Outsider

Postby timdawes » 20 Oct 2012, 09:14

haha yes you can do that. penrith it wear the event is held, but it's not a difficult task heading back into the city afterwards, i did it the first year.

as far as flights go, qantas is fine and has direct flights depending where you're coming from. i know they do from LA.

nice work on coming down for it, it's a gun festival and i couldn't imagine missing it!
timdawes (32)
Admin

Postby Nightstalker » 20 Oct 2012, 13:54

best option is to take a hostel in sydney - near the central train stations there are some (friends and i we did that 2010 & this year - cheapest way)
and how timdawes said, with the train no problem to go to defqon (your defqon ticket includes also the train ticket :) )

AUSTRIA (Not Australia )
There is always time for SCHNITZEL & BEER!!!
Nightstalker (27)
Beer Mod

Postby jasyn » 20 Oct 2012, 18:43

yah we'll be coming from Los Angeles. thanks for all the wonderful tips & suggestions :)

i didn't know the ticket includes train fare so that works out even better :dance:

out of curiosity .. is there a language barrier in Australia? do majority of the people know english?
jasyn
State Outsider

Postby malicious_kode » 20 Oct 2012, 21:01

jasyn:out of curiosity .. is there a language barrier in Australia? do majority of the people know english?

Depends where you are. If you go somewhere like Lakemba or Cabramatta you might have trouble- or Melbourne, where they hablan Español/Mexicano. Defqon is held near Penrith, where you'll find most can speak at least some English- although they have their own regional dialect that they use, which can be difficult to understand. You should be alright though- English has been a mandatory subject in Australian schools for quite some time now. In the tourist areas- where I suppose you're likely to spend most of your time- all the street signs and stuff like that are in English. Plus we get a lot of TV programs from the US as well like Dallas, The Beverly Hillbillys, Happy Days and The Dukes of Hazzard, which are all very popular here, and you'll find a lot of people have picked up bits and pieces from watching stuff like that, and can recognise common words and phrases (we even get American football on pay-TV, or "cable" as you say, but it's a bit hard to understand because they only have one goalpost to kick at and we're used to having four!) Just remember, over here a thong is actually an item of footwear- I think Americans call them "flip-flops" and also (you'll find this hilarious, I'm sure) the Australian word for alcohol is "piss", so if you get invited to a pub to "drink piss", don't worry- it doesn't mean what you think. ;)

United and Delta also fly LA-Sydney, but Qantas has an unparalleled safety record if that sort of thing is of any concern to you (except for when that engine fell off that new Airbus last year, and when those bloody 'roos got loose on the runway at Kingsford-Smith).

Anyway, hope to see you here in 2013! :p
Last edited by malicious_kode on 20 Oct 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
No kick topics, no exceptions.
For kick-related stuff use the topics in the red text above. #n00bz4eVar
malicious_kode
State Celebrity

Postby jasyn » 20 Oct 2012, 21:17

thanks malicious_kode!

it looks like flying from LA to Sydney is a 2 day difference ... man that makes planning much harder lol .. how much were tickets to this event last year? i was trying to find the cost but couldn't.
jasyn
State Outsider

Postby malicious_kode » 20 Oct 2012, 21:27

I think the final release tickets were about A$160 or so (1AUD=1.03USD at present) and a bit cheaper if you get one of the earlier releases. There are also camping tickets available, but personally I wouldn't camp there myself because of the dingoes, though there haven't been any problems the last two years.
No kick topics, no exceptions.
For kick-related stuff use the topics in the red text above. #n00bz4eVar
malicious_kode
State Celebrity

Postby jasyn » 20 Oct 2012, 21:41

that's a steal compared to the outrageous prices here in US :'( and it's 12-14 hours long? _O_

we don't plan to camp it .. we plan to go experience the event and then head back :fist:

thanks everyone who has replied (L)
jasyn
State Outsider

Postby Vicious » 21 Oct 2012, 00:32

Awesome! :) nothing much more to add except bring a shit load of cash! Everything here costs twice as much as the US...
Vicious
State Hero

Postby VanillaFace » 21 Oct 2012, 01:17

malicious_kode:
jasyn:out of curiosity .. is there a language barrier in Australia? do majority of the people know english?

Depends where you are. If you go somewhere like Lakemba or Cabramatta you might have trouble- or Melbourne, where they hablan Español/Mexicano. Defqon is held near Penrith, where you'll find most can speak at least some English- although they have their own regional dialect that they use, which can be difficult to understand. You should be alright though- English has been a mandatory subject in Australian schools for quite some time now. In the tourist areas- where I suppose you're likely to spend most of your time- all the street signs and stuff like that are in English. Plus we get a lot of TV programs from the US as well like Dallas, The Beverly Hillbillys, Happy Days and The Dukes of Hazzard, which are all very popular here, and you'll find a lot of people have picked up bits and pieces from watching stuff like that, and can recognise common words and phrases (we even get American football on pay-TV, or "cable" as you say, but it's a bit hard to understand because they only have one goalpost to kick at and we're used to having four!) Just remember, over here a thong is actually an item of footwear- I think Americans call them "flip-flops" and also (you'll find this hilarious, I'm sure) the Australian word for alcohol is "piss", so if you get invited to a pub to "drink piss", don't worry- it doesn't mean what you think. ;)

United and Delta also fly LA-Sydney, but Qantas has an unparalleled safety record if that sort of thing is of any concern to you (except for when that engine fell off that new Airbus last year, and when those bloody 'roos got loose on the runway at Kingsford-Smith).

Anyway, hope to see you here in 2013! :p

I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a post on here before _O_

But yes, like Vicious said, cash yourself up. It's ridiculously expensive.
Next year, I won't be camping and will stay in Penrith. Stayed in a hostel near Central Station this year and a long train trip is the last thing you want to do after a festival.
VanillaFace (23)
State Native

Postby timdawes » 21 Oct 2012, 01:23

LOL MK i just spat coffee over my computer reading that. yes, we speak english, better than most americans :P

i will only stay at Panthers, which is a big venue sort of near defqon. makes it quicker for me to go kick on after the event :P and yeah, munted train rides, not my thing, but its doable.
timdawes (32)
Admin

Postby Benoweapon » 10 Jan 2013, 03:40

Holy shit.
Benoweapon
State Newcomer

Postby R3cl41m3r » 10 Jan 2013, 04:22

Yep. Once again, Americans taking us for some sort of third world country..... :+
"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true."
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
R3cl41m3r (22)
State Celebrity

Location: Australia (au) The place where everything can kill you.

Postby timdawes » 10 Jan 2013, 04:36

which is quite ironic really :P
timdawes (32)
Admin

Postby Reverse Ghost » 10 Jan 2013, 09:15

I thought ya'll spoke Australian :+
Reverse Ghost (23)
State Legend

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles