Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Scene in America

Postby scottyxander » 05 Apr 2012, 22:38

I can definitely tell that it's starting to get popular in all of North America. I got a couple of my close friends in Texas into hardstyle but so far they think Brennan Heart is the best producer in the hardstyle scene o_O.

Over here in Vancouver there's quite a lot of kids into hardstyle, but it's usually just Showtek, HHZ, etc.
scottyxander (24)
State Senior Citizen

Postby ExilioMusic » 05 Apr 2012, 23:38

I've gotten a handful of friends into Atmozfears, Noisecontrollers and Headhunterz. It's definitely growing in the States that's for sure. But currently Dubstep is the big thing here. Which sucks because it's clearly a fad in USA. All dubstep talk will be gone here in a year and they'll move onto something new.
DREAM.create.BECOME.
ExilioMusic (25)
State Native

Postby Reverse Ghost » 05 Apr 2012, 23:54

Why do people keep bitching about Showtek? If you want hard tracks with your bangbangbangbang kicks and your superultramegahard kicks, then stop bitching about one group that's barely even commercial :')

Hardstyle, big in the US? Haha, no. It's all House and Dubstep right now, everyone falling head over heels with Benassi (boring if you ask me), Tiesto & Aoki (Seriously?), and SHM (Oh lord.)
Reverse Ghost (25)
State Legend

Postby DjVero » 06 Apr 2012, 00:04

SHM are fucking awesome _O_ I just love their latest singles (Greyhound and Antidote) (L)
Mr. Revealed
DjVero (30)
Crab

Postby DjPractice » 06 Apr 2012, 03:14

indeed, Greyhound is a sick track - Gareth Emery has been smashing it in his sets recently!!!

I'd say that the house/trance combination known as 'trouse' is the big thing in the US at present - check out how massive the ASOT 550 / Ultra parties were with 2/3 stages of the stuff!!

But Q is bringing a stage to the Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas - make of that what you will :)
DJ PRACTICE - Playing weird shit since 2004
http://www.facebook.com/djpracticeofficial
Keep up to date with my new mixes, gigs, tracks and remixes :)
DjPractice
State Legend

Postby zanshi » 06 Apr 2012, 05:57

the scene in america is growing, you also feel it here in the forums
maybe a year ago there weren't as much americans as we have now, also compared to registrations of members from other countries the americans significantly got more interested in hardstyle
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (26)
State Hero

Postby Lop-Sided » 06 Apr 2012, 06:27

DjPractice:I'd say that the house/trance combination known as 'trouse' is the big thing in the US at present - check out how massive the ASOT 550 / Ultra parties were with 2/3 stages of the stuff!!

Tbh, I don't think it is at all...Well...I hope it isn't anyway.

However I would agree with whoever says that it has potential to grow to something big here. :)
Trance producer/Radio Show Host at 90.3FM KDVS
Check out my tuneessssss, broooooo!! http://www.soundcloud.com/sashavanlaur
Lop-Sided
State Celebrity

Postby GiantHardstyle » 11 Apr 2012, 04:02

Being from the states it's weird hearing the difference in "Hardstyle". Here, "Hardstyle" is pretty much a little bit harder Jump. We don't really have a top producer here in the states. Caffeine I honestly wouldn't say produces hardstyle, but that harder jump. Hard Dance Nation is the American Q-Dance, but like I said the style is so much more different than European and other places. The only real hardstyle we've heard here is if a big name comes in. HHZ, Coone, etc. Unless you're like me and discovered hardstyle back in 09, ahah.
GiantHardstyle (24)
State Newcomer

Postby BrianMVsMcBunn » 13 Apr 2012, 10:28

PumpStatic:
John Cove:
DJ PumpStatic:Well I was talking to Brian M vs. Mcbunn and they said they are planning to come out to the States later on this year so your wish may be granted if you like 'em :)

on vacation probably :+

Ha no really man they said it:
Show spoiler
BrianMVsMcBunn:
DJ PumpStatic:Amazing mix guys, would like to see you guys come to the States! Definetly worth seeing live :D

Cheers bro :) Working on something for later in the year to come out :p

:p
BrianMVsMcBunn
Producer

Postby Rorok » 15 Apr 2012, 23:56

TheAscendant:No one ever comes to Florida which is a bummer.
Hopefully in the future that well change..
In general though the scene is not mainstream just Showtek is. :P
For instance whenever HHZ, DBSTF, and Frontliner came here they spun pretty hard sets and the crowds still went nuts.

We has isaac here last year, same with headhunterz. Then for WMC, A lot of DWX artists were there as well.

Me, along with a few others are trying to build florida's Hard music scene...Whereabouts are you located at?

Hardstyle is also quite strange here, some people like it, a lot of people dont, and prefer their dubstep and house. The scene is most definitely growing. I dont think it'll hit anywhere near mainstream at all, at least i hope not. Im curious to see how the q-dance stage at EDC will go
Rorok (26)
State Newcomer

Postby PlastikZero » 11 Jun 2012, 02:03

GiantHardstyle:Being from the states it's weird hearing the difference in "Hardstyle". Here, "Hardstyle" is pretty much a little bit harder Jump. We don't really have a top producer here in the states. Caffeine I honestly wouldn't say produces hardstyle, but that harder jump. Hard Dance Nation is the American Q-Dance, but like I said the style is so much more different than European and other places. The only real hardstyle we've heard here is if a big name comes in. HHZ, Coone, etc. Unless you're like me and discovered hardstyle back in 09, ahah.

I'd have to disagree. I'd say Lady Faith is doing pretty well for herself, being booked at Defqon1 and such. S-Factor have teamed up with JDX to release on JDX music, and they're also doing very well for themselves.

I'd say as a whole, our scene is scattered, but we have strong 'factions'. There's a few names here and there that 'run' their territory, but luckily it's not all cut-throat like that. Everyone i've come into contact with is genuinely nice and we all support each other. :)

There's definitely a lot more interest in hardstyle than there was even just 3 years ago. It's really nice to have promoters genuinely consider hard dance bookings versus just shrugging it off and saying 'it'll never work, nobody likes hardstyle'. :)
PlastikZero (28)
State Tourist

Postby Markove » 31 Aug 2012, 23:08

Hardstyle will grow in popularity over here. Give it time and don't be surprised when the style does become larger. Headhunterz and Wildstylez producing remixes for house tracks will contribute to this partially. House and trance are the big genres of EDM over here; that's no secret. Dubstep isn't as big you think it is, especially when compared to those genres. Armin and Afrojack are almost household names among the younger generation. Hell, they're playing house remixes of top 40 songs on the radio now. That's not including the various house producers that had their tracks jump into the top 40 as well (I JUST CAME TO SAY HELLO!) Afrojack and Red One produce most of the top 40 songs at the moment, so house is the music to follow in the US. That's no surprise.

The fear I have with hardstyle becoming big over here is the people who will immediately become the hardstyle hipsters. I LISTEN TO HHZ BEFORE song XYZ, I knew NC back when they put out Pillars of Creation, etc. I think most of us will have some animosity when this happens, but it's no different than the type of debates going on over the genre's direction with the Europeans. Honestly, I want the genre to become larger so I can finally see the DJs I've been dying to see.

Furthermore, it would give more of a self-esteem boost to American producers like myself. In my opinion, if there were to be a high quality hardstyle producer from the States, I don't think they'd receive the attention deserved. I feel there's more of an uphill battle for producers from Canada and the US compared to those from Europe. I also feel that what's deserved will come around eventually with persistence and hard work, but there will just be more obstacles on the way.

I went to Identity Festival this past summer to see Showtek (and basically only Showtek, zero interest in the others) and I had blast during their set. Although half their set was full of the collabs they've done recently (dull to be honest), the other half was pure hardstyle. They played some of their older tracks, but they also spun the new track they made with Noisecontrollers and Gimme Love. You could tell half the crowd was like OMGWTFBBQ during GImme Love, but I was going nuts.

Showtek is gaining popularity because they've migrated to a weird blend of house and hardstyle. They're no longer hardstyle. Anyone who says otherwise is oblivious and hasn't seen the comments they've made in recent years about their transition. Even so, they honestly aren't THAT popular here either. Most of the crowd clearly had no idea who they were.
ImageImageImage
Markove (28)
Producer

Postby Aztecz » 31 Oct 2012, 09:32

Just to add to this, saw showtek at ID festival this summer in mass and I was really hoping for a banger set with alot of hardstyle. He played hardhouse for 45 mins then played maybe 15 mins of actual hardstyle. Was kind of disappointing. Although I do remember heady coming to NYC a couple years ago and apparently he killed it. Im really hoping he comes through again to be completely honest.

The scene in america will never be huge as it is for the deadmau5's and skrillex's etc. Pop music in america was just a reworked version of club music anyways, so this shift that people are seeing in EDM's popularity is no suprise to me. Its just that the mainstream will never accept anything that is faster than 128 bpm because its so "fast" to dance to. Thats the common answer I hear when i try to introduce people to this music which is kinda crazy to me, but hey if they dont get it i dont care. I agree it will take a bit for america to "digest" this kind of music and other kinds as well, but for now im gonna stomp my ass off and enjoy what i love most :)
Aztecz (25)
State Tourist

Postby R3cl41m3r » 08 Nov 2012, 03:39

Last time I heard, Showtek abandoned Hardstyle......
"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true."
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
R3cl41m3r (23)
State Celebrity

Location: Australia (au) The place where everything can kill you.

Postby Markove » 09 Nov 2012, 22:34

Musugorotsuki:Last time I heard, Showtek abandoned Hardstyle......

There's a lot more than meets the eye to that story.
ImageImageImage
Markove (28)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles